VIP version. "Ad Free". Erm. No.

Stu from Saturday

I can't be the only person who paid the extra for the VIP version of 2020 based purely on the headline feature, "Ad Free", to then find out that in actual fact, this is a lie.

I've been a huge fan of this game for many years now but this I find not only insulting but also surely false advertising.

I'mnot just talking about the optional adverts in order to boost fitness either (although it does rankle that sometimes you are stuck with a training regime on a Sunday which then ticks over to a, say, Wednesday, leaving your players less than fit and requiring adverts to improve them), no, there are static ads when it loads, ads every month and ads for the second of the "free" gifts every 4 hours.

How is this "ad free"??

It's not. I spend more of my time watching adverts in this version of SM than in any of the previous versions. I've written to the company but almost a month later have not heard back.

It's just not on, not by a long shot.

I'd be willing to pay more as a one off to lose the lot of them, but I resent paying to upgrade for something that was clearly untrue and positioned as the first of all the perks in order to hook people in.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. The VIP package is meant to remove all forced video adverts on loading the game and before matches. All other adverts are considered optional "reward ads", and are therefore excluded from the VIP. The static adverts for Special Offers are not removed, as they are not videos and are not very intrusive anyway. We believe the other benefits of VIP also make it well worth it.

Removing all adverts for optional things would probably be a bit overpowered, as it would basically mean there are instant free boosts throughout the game.

That said, we appreciate your feedback and will consider it when improving these features in future versions.

Thanks!

Theo

Thanks for coming back Theo but that's a sidestep from what I clearly explained was the actual issue.

The VIP version is sold with the headline "Ad Free". This isn't at the top of the list of benefits by accident. The game, once this is purchased, is as you have confirmed NOT ad free.

Whether or not you believe the other benefits are worth it, and suggesting there is only one rather daft alternative, that of instant free boosts thereafter, is neither here nor there.

It's false advertising, and it's underhand.

You're right - it should probably say "Remove Forced Adverts" instead of "Ad Free" as that is not strictly true. I'll mention this to the developers, but unfortunately it is not likely to be changed at the moment (devs are very busy, and we would need to get the new text translated into every language in the game, which costs us money).

Thanks again!

Theo

• 10 months later...